If you were intrigued by the topics addressed in Daniel’s Husband, you might also like these plays, movies, and articles:
- Next Fall by Geoffrey Nauffts: Luke and Adam are two gay men in a committed relationship. There is just one complication– Luke is extremely religious and Adam is an atheist. The men make their relationship work despite their differences, but one accident will change everything for Adam and Luke.
- Standing on Ceremony by Mo Gaffney and Jordan Harrison: This compilation of short plays explores the touching, heartbreaking, and sometimes ridiculous moments before same-sex couples say “I Do.”
- I Do by David W Ross: This 2012 American drama follows a gay man who marries his lesbian best friend in order to get his green card. When he meets the love of his life, he is forced to make a daunting decision and confront the inequality that same-sex couples in America face.
- Whose Life is it Anyway? by Brian Clark: (It’s also a play!) Ken Harrison is a sculptor who is faced with difficult decisions and a harrowing journey when circumstances alter his life forever.
- Bridegroom by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason: This 2013 documentary tells the story of Tom Bridegroom and Shane Bitney Crone, a gay couple that plan to marry when the gay marriage ban in California is lifted. When Tom dies in a tragic accident, his family bars Shane from attending the funeral.
- The Case Against 8 by Ben Cotner and Ryan White: A look into the journey of the team of people who brought the first lawsuit to the Supreme Court on marriage equality, this documentary spans five years and shows how the same-sex marriage ban is overturned in California.
- Limited Partnership by Kirk Marcolina and Thomas G Miller: After Richard Adams and Tony Sullivan become one of the first gay couples to be legally married, they face discrimination at the hands of Immigration and Australian born Tony faces the possibility of deportation.
- State of Marriage by Jeff Kaufman: This documentary sheds light on Mary Bonauto and the two lawyers that helped make Vermont the first state to legalize gay marriage and marriage equality.
- “Florist Discriminated Against Gay Couple, Washington State Supreme Court Rules” by Kirk Johnson: This article details a resolved Washington court case that is being appealed in the US Supreme Court. The case deals with a florist who refused to provide an arrangement for a gay couple’s wedding, claiming it went against her “artistic values” and her religion.
- “Gay Couple Can’t Get Married Because They’re Legally Father And Son” by Amanda Terkel: With the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize gay marriage, some older same-sex couples ran into legal problems. Those who thought they would never see this happen in their lifetimes, decided that one partner would adopt the other, in order to receive familial benefits.
- “Some Same-Sex Couples Are Rushing to Say Their Vows. Just in Case…” by Alison Leigh Cowan: This article was written in the wake of election day and Trump’s victory in the Presidential election. Many same-sex couples who were planning to hold off on saying “I do” are now rushing to the altar, just in case the decision to legalize gay marriage federally is reversed.
The Primary Stages production of Daniel’s Husband runs March 22 to April 28, 2017 at the Cherry Lane Theatre. For tickets and more information, visit our website.